I love brunch. On Sunday morning, you will usually find me at the restaurant across the street, eating a buttery quiche and enjoying a fair trade french press. This morning, however, I didn’t have time for a long leisurely brunch before pulling out my computer and getting to work, so I looked in the fridge and decided I would whip up a delicious and healthy Mexican breakfast burrito to get my day started.
This recipe features one of Trader Joe’s unique and popular products – Soyrizo. This is a vegetarian and vegan alternative to traditional chorizo, a spicy sausage used in many traditional Mexican dishes that is delicious but packs a hefty caloric punch. Trader Joe’s Soyrizo only works for me in crumbled form, as you can’t really slice it without it falling apart. That limitation aside, it’s a great product that adds authentic chorizo flavor and texture without all the extra fat.
4 large brown TJ eggs
1/3 package of TJ Soyrizo
1 cup TJ frozen super sweet corn, defrosted
3 TJ green onions
1/2 cup TJ shredded pepper jack cheese blend
2 TJ handmade 100% whole wheat flour tortillas
1 tablespoon olive oil
1. Heat olive oil in a nonstick pan over medium heat.
2. Cut off a third of the Soyrizo packago and squeeze the Soyrizo into the pan. Crumble with spatula and cook for 3 minutes.
3. While Soyrizo is cooking, chop green onions.
4. Beat four eggs in a bowl and add to the pan with the Soyrizo, along with the defrosted corn.
5. Cook for three minutes or until eggs are scrambled and mixture is cooked through.
6. Heat tortillas in the microwave for 10 seconds each.
7. Sprinkle half of the shredded cheese on each tortilla, spoon half of the egg/Soyrizo mixture onto the tortilla, and top with green onions.
8. Fold tortilla like a burrito with one end open. Eat with two hands. Enjoy!